Sweet and Spicy Apple Hot Sauce:
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1 cup of diced onion
3 cups of diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
4 medium chili peppers
2 medium sized apples (diced)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup of distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup of lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup agave nectar, or 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
|peppers and apples cooking|
1. Over medium heat in a large saucepan, heat oil and add the onion, peppers, apples,ginger and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown. Stir continuously.
2. Reduce heat. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, tomatoes, and salt. Stir until the tomatoes break down. Roughly 6 minutes. Add agave nectar/sugar and cinnamon and stir well.
3. Place mixture in blender and blend until a puree is formed.
4. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a container. (note: I saved the chunks in a separate jar to use for salsa later)
5. Let mixture cool for an hour.
Spiced Apple Sauce
(recipe taken from: http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/blog/)
This recipe makes your house smell really nice and is perfect for fall.
4 apples – peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. sugar/brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash of ginger and cardamom
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar (if using), and spices. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 min., or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.