Monday, October 4, 2010

Growing up eggplant

So, I have honestly never cooked with eggplants. I have had eggplant curry and eggplant parmesan, and enjoyed them both, but never have I attempted to utilize those intimidating veggies. Yet, during my visit to the Asheville farmer's market (read more about it here) I picked up some nice little locally grown eggplants. Thus, I have forced myself to cook something with them. I have chosen a simple Eggplant Parmesan recipe, as I have been in an Italian mood this week. And while Ursula K. Le Guin may be inclined to believe that eggplants lack imagination (referencing "Why are Americans Afraid of Dragons?" from her book Language of the Night where she claims "Now, I doubt that imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant), I am going to confess to the contrary-they come in purple and taste so delicious! (I, in fact, would not really mind growing up an eggplant).

So below, disregarding eggplant insults, growing up and such things, enjoy my version of delicious eggplant parmesan.


Ingredients:
2-3 eggplants, sliced
3 cups of Italian seasoned bread crumbs (in a zip-lock baggie)
1 cup of vegetable broth
1 jar of pasta sauce (of your choice, homemade or store bought)
2 cups of parmesan
2 cups of mozzarella



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350, dip your sliced eggplant in warmed up vegetable broth, then place the slice in the baggie with the bread crumbs, and thoroughly coat the slice. Place on a cookie sheet, in a single layer, and bake for about 7 minutes on each side.

In a baking dish, layer the bottom with sauce, add slices of eggplant, sprinkle cheeses over this, add sauce, and repeat layers, ending with cheese
Bake for about 35-40 minutes

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment