Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm tired of Morning Star

     So, I do my best to avoid genetically modified and over processed foods (read more about the GM foods issue here). Morning Star (a corporation owned by the giant Kelloggs) doesn't necessarily have sustainable and healthy food practices in mind, and has admitted to usage of gm products in its food (this is biased, but read it anyway). Thus, I try to not buy Morning Star brand and have been sticking to Earth Fare brand organic veggie burgers. However, this still entirely removes me from the food process and makes me feel slightly uneasy, so, to correct this problem, I have decided to start making my own veggie burgers. Below, you will find my tasty recipe for homemade vegan veggie burgers.

(Slightly Spicy) Vegan Black Bean Veggie Burgers

Ingredients:
1 can of black beans (16 oz)
1 tablespoon veganaise
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 tablespoon each of cumin and Indian curry powder
1-2 dashes of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon peanut butter or 2-3 dashes peanut sauce
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Directions:
Mince up the onion and garlic thoroughly and set aside. Empty black beans into a bowl and mash them with either a fork or potato masher until they are well mashed and have a sort of paste consistency. Mix together the onions and garlic with the mashed beans.
In a separate bowl mix veganaise, flour, hot sauce, liquid smoke, cumin, curry powder, and peanut butter/sauce and blend well.
Mix veganaise mix with black bean mixture, then add bread crumbs slowly, mixing well and until your black bean mixture sticks together.
Heat oven to 375, and pat out burgers on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on each side.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment